View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
(1) Does the screen hold up / keep up enough over long periods of time?

(2) What are Practical Program solutions for Start-to-Finish Word Processor apps? (novel, script, etc...)
(a) That is, can you use Browser Based, like Office.com for MS Word, or does the Google Docs App work well ?
(b) And have you been able to create and finish a project JUST ON THE TAB? No going to a PC or Laptop to format, etc...

(3) Does screen scrolling kill the battery?
1) The screen is fine to READ on.
2) There are none for tablets. Only for MacOS, Windows and Linux.
a) Web programs are best for real time collaboration. Nasty for one person writing and the Internet and Service providers are less reliable than my laptop. You need local software.
b) Almost impossible.
3) Screen scrolling kills your eyes and brain on eink. And I have not yet found a wordprocessor where if you make the page size fit in the window, that paging puts the top of the page at the top of the window each time. So I've abandoned the idea of an eink monitor on the laptop. I'd imagine scrolling is harder on the battery than paging, but might still beat OLED / LCD. Pretty unreadable till you stop and force a refresh.

Eink works best with page orientated applications that are text that fits the screen, ie apps displaying real ebooks, or SMALL PDFs that happen to fit on the screen. Colour is rubbish. Blink is rubbish. So a text editor for programming with colour highlights and bracket matching is terrible. The good screens do Black, a nearly white and theoretically 14 levels of grey inbetween. But in that mode ghosting can be an issue if there is not full refresh on every page turn. Each cell has little black and white balls. Replace the CPU with Babbage and it would be steampunk. Also very large and noisy.

It's abysmal with animation, colour, scrolling etc. Don't hold your breath for colour without full sunlight or a bright front light and 1/3rd resolution.

But great for reading with page turns and long battery life.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-11-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote