View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Collections on the Kindle aren't actual folders (isn't it just Pocketbook readers that support folders?), but yes it lets you sort your books into your own custom categories (and you can have them in more than one), then you can display your books in these categories instead of just listing all the individual books.

You have to register and connect via wi-fi once to enable collections, I think that's the only 'feature' that's missing. After the initial registration (which can be done with your Kindle containing nothing but the user guide), you don't have to ever buy a book from Amazon, use your account, connect to their servers, etc, etc. Just like the Kobo (and probably any ereader), you don't need to, but there are good reasons for registering, and there's nothing sinister about it.

I know a lot of people value the ease of buying books from Amazon and getting them delivered to their Kindle wirelessly at the click of a button, it's a cool feature. Personally I usually sideload my books, and while I'm not concerned about Amazon having "control over your device, and content" (why on earth would I be?), I rarely turn the wi-fi on.

I know I have some concern with book recommendations and other stuff on the Kobo, but I believe it is possible to turn most of this kind of thing anyway?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 03-11-2012 at 08:17 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote