View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Hmm, the abandoning of previous products worries me a bit, but, in my 2 year experience with Kobo I have found it to be similar.

I have a Touch, but when the Glo and the tablet (name escapes me) were released, the firmware updates released for all Kobo devices were aimed at those 2 new products. Very often it caused problems with Touches, or even worse, the original Kobos.

When I called Kobo for instructions on how to unbrick my Kobo (it randomly just locked up while I was reading), I was told my device was outdated and I should "upgrade" instead of fixing what I owned already. I had to find instructions online as to how to do a hard reset with paperclip and Home button.

Those updates Kobo releases - just about every 6 months - for the most part add nothing of value. They add or remove random things, most of which don't add to the reading experience, an add more and more "advertising" for their store. What I find most disturbing as that they usually add just as many new bugs that they supposedly fixed in their "update" and any bug fixes for sideloaded books rarely happen because they are focused on getting you to buy from their store, which most often means the books go directly to your reader. Suddenly my microSD card won't work on my Kobo because of some odd glitch with the new firmware. This issue goes back to when they launched their new 2.X line of firmware, I just got lucky that it didn't hit me until now.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote