View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 03:01 AM   #43
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Yeah, but my old serial GPS units need to be outside to see any satellites, and still take at least five minutes to acquire a position.

The new ones are incredibly sensitive, even indoors, and get a position quickly (and they are tiny and low power). My oldest GPS is the size (and weight) of a friggin' brick.

You can also test serial devices by connecting the TxD and RxD wires, and checking for a character echo.

You are right, that's a simpler way to check it!

I bought a 3 in 1 converter from ebay and was worry about damaging kindle if I setup the jumper wrong
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in-1-USB-t...item232445d5dc

I thought about GPS solution because years ago I built a rs232 to usb (actually Axim interface) cable using max232, to just connect the old "brick" GPS to Dell Axim. Now I don't need to dig out the GPS anymore
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote