View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #519
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Awesome! This is a great insurance policy for those who have not yet bricked their kindles. Let's hope that people use it. But then, some of us did not get around to backing up our /dev/mmcblk0 when we had the chance.

I still think a data.tar.gz (or newer .stgz method) that drops diags /usr/local is in order, for "boy stuck under the tree" cases.

P.S. I added your "relevant K5 images" mirror link to the "forensic images" links in the first post, and to the bottom of the "forensic images" pastebin. Perhaps we should mention this "pre-brick insurance" hack at the top of the first post as well... This hack needs a name, so what do you want to CALL it?
Hmmm... ok, let's start with the simple stuff first:

the "images lists" are getting confusing. People are already trying to download the wrong things, and asking for alternatives. I think there should be one list per Kindle model, with only verified links (cf. broken kernels, dead links). I can only speak for the K5 here, but that would mean something like a single list "K5 images", where there are:
- links to usable K5 diags images. This isn't too hard, because there are really only 2 images required (working kernel, and working partition with SSH). Plus, of course, mirrors of those two images. Speaking for myself, this is the ge.tt links for the 5.0.x diags, and the ixtab.tk link. There may be others though.
- links to usable K5 main images. We had already discussed this via PM, and I thought that we came to the conclusion that it only makes sense (at this time) to keep 5.0.0 (earliest) and 5.1.2 (latest) images. Anything in between just doesn't make sense. For these, again, we should ATM have (at least) two working mirrors: the mediafire files that you created from the files I sent you, and the mirror I just added. Of course, again, there may be other working links...

The same should be true for other models, IMO: one list per model, with only relevant downloads (earliest/latest FW, verified to work) and verified mirrors. Yes, I realize that this is quite a bit of work to do, but maybe some folks would volunteer to check the available material. In any case, it will lead to a much more organized structure (and ultimately less trouble, because people will directly find the right files).

Second point: "boy already hanging on the tree" ( or rather stuck under it: yes, definitely also a good idea. But it'll have to be created by someone... )

Third point: yes, I like the name of "insurance", because that's exactly what it is. So why not... just call it "pre-brick insurance".
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote