View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #40
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The meta data is not compressed so that is not a problem. What you loose is possibility to "explode" the file and fix something in the HTML code and then regenerate the mobi file.
Sure. But depending upon the Mobi file, that might not be an option in any case. Will MobiPerl extract to HTML from a commercial title protected by DRM?

For titles uploaded here, I'd start by posting a bug report to the original creator. The folks creating Mobi content all seem to be quite receptive, and upload newer versions of titles as errors are pointed out and as they learn how to make better crafted Mobi titles.

Quote:
But my objection is more philosophocal or ideological. I think it is bad of companies to use secret formats but i assume they feel they have to do it. But there is no reason to use a secret format for a file you distribute publicly. That is like just distributing binaries for programs and not distribute the source code which I also do not like.
I'm sympathetic to the objection, but for me, pragmatism trumps ideology. For instance, I prefer open source software when I can get something that meets my needs. I can't, always.

And a fair amount of stuff is proprietary, like it or not. For instance, you post MobiPerl files as RAR archives. While an assortment of tools can extract them, as far as I know, only the closed source and commercial RAR and WinRAR products can create them. (If there is an open source product that creates RAR archives, I'd be delighted to hear about it.)

Why not use something like 7zip, which is open source?

Quote:
But I assume if there is a future demand to unpack these files somebody will figure out the compression algorithm.
Or MobiPocket will document it well enough to allow folks to decompress it with third-party tools.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote