View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #16
Seraphine
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

Reimplementing calibre's virtual libraries in CC isn't practical because VLs depend on calibre's much more powerful search engine. That said, you can get most of the way there. The FAQ answer How do I see/use my calibre virtual libraries in CC?.

The method described in the FAQ answer work because CC's searches act a lot like calibre's VLs. When you do a search in CC, all the books that do not match are removed from the grouping results, along with their categories. For example, if you have a tag "Foo" and long-press that tag in grouping to search on it, you will no longer see in grouping authors of books that do not have that tag.

What you can't get from CC that calibre has is searching on the VL. Calibre has multiple levels of search, while CC has only one.
Thank you for responding so promptly - I've mostly gotten used to the Internet being asleep when I'm poking around. I found Calibre Companion before I found this forum, so today is my first visit to the FAQ here. It's excellent.

As I was hoping for libraries for the purpose of searching within the libraries, my understanding is that the method described in the FAQ, while a useful emulation of the libraries, won't allow me to search within them - correct?

As I said, I'm currently adding extra tags to my books within Calibre so that I can sort through them on CC, and that's an acceptable solution for me. Thank you for explaining why multiple library implementation isn't a viable solution.