View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #59
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I disagree, there's been plenty of things that didn't work (antenna issue on the 4, battery issue on the 4S, maps and wifi on the 5, screen retention and artefacts on the retina macbook, ...) yet, people continue to sing the song that "it just works". What really works is the marketing department, there is no denying that it is second to none. Apple is not alone is producing duds, but they somehow get a pass and that just baffles me.
I think they have so much accumulated goodwill from years of products that have just worked, that people are more inclined to trust them.
The converse of that though is that these sorts of mis-steps, if they continue, could actually be much more damaging to Apple than they would be to other companies, precisely because of how much value there is in the 'just works' branding. That is what makes millions of people feel safe in preordering a product. If there are enough screwups that people start to expect them, Apple will stop seeing those sort of numbers.
It is much easier to lose goodwill than to build it, and much much harder to rebuild it once it has been lost.
Case in point with the Paperwhite, I was really keen on it when it was first announced, and it would probably have been a pre-order for me once it was available in the UK. Now with the issues that have come out it has gone back to a try-first, might-buy device.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote