View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@transmitthis - yeah pretty much it is a scale issue on my part. In the same way that 5 stars is "best of the best", reserving 1 star for "worst of the worst" as well as using 2 stars for "pretty rubbish" is perhaps a luxury a 5 point scale can't afford. Fundamentally though my ratings really are not that different to yours - it is just that I find that nearly everything I read falls into 3 or 4 stars

EDIT: Actually I should add, that I do agree with Goodreads/Netflix that the whole more choice is harder philosphy. For instance, some would say by "wanting" a 3.5/4.5 that really I am asking for a 1-7 based system. But thinking of it as 1-7 would probably freak me out. Whereas what if it was just a 3 star rating?

* Rubbish
** Good
*** Outstanding

I think that would do me just fine to be brutally honest. For me more granularity comes into play only when you start comparing one book against another - I liked book X a bit more than book Y, but not enough to put book X up there with book Z. And for that there is no real end to the madness methinks.

As I said above - I've "adapted" to just having the 5 stars for rating books myself

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote