View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #31
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
... People end up without their clothes numerous times, and it's usually highly embarrasing for them - why?
And what's up with all those naked women at the ball? It's probably just a reflection of gender and gender roles of a time past, but it kept annoying me like a pebble in my shoe.
great post with many hints for discussion. I pick up this one for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I was initially impressed that Bulgakov included two fleshed out female characters in the text, Margarita and Natasha, who had some agency in their lives.
The nakedness. Of women in particular, and the most disturbing case, the nakedness of Marguerite.

When her state of exaltation evaporates, Marguerite is embarrassed by it, Wolan perceives it and offers her what to cover herself. It is one of the key passages of the plot. Therefore, nakedness is not just a gratuitous element of provocation or despise, throw in to impress or to be humorist, but it has an important role.

I think that nakedness is associated by Bulgakov to a manifestation of exaltation. Again I think, he activates a theatrical device, like a musical theme associated to a character.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote