Thread: Wikipedia?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
carlb
carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BPDN, Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I reduced any image greater than 200x??? so that the short side was 200 using IrfanView and didn't enlarge smaller pictures nor used any dithering. For .gifs and .pngs, I just reduced the colours to 16 (4 bit) while with .jpgs I had better luck reducing the Quality to 70 than changing those images to .png or .gif! Any images less than 200x???, I didn't change the size, but did change the colours as above.
IrfanView?

For such a large quantity of images, it may be easier to use http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php as it can be run from a batch file to -resize or change colour -depth of large numbers of images at once.

Wikipedia's server-side MediaWiki software invokes ImageMagick's free convert utility as one commonly-used means to generate thumbnails from uploaded photos for use on content pages; it won't convert .SVG to other formats but will do just about anything else.
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote