View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
fcoulter
Enthusiast
fcoulter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ePub to MOBI differences - Part I

I'm busy learning xhtml and css in order to create much better eBook files. And so, I'm experimenting with the creation of an eBook in Sigil, and then using Calibre to convert it to a MOBI file so I can view it on my Kindle.

I have found my first non-converting item, the <q> tag. In xhtml, the <q> inline tag is meant to indicate the beginning (and ending) of a quote. When I used it in Sigil when creating an ePub book, the <q> and </q> tags were converted by the ePub viewer into the quote symbol. This worked just the way I would have expected it to work.

However, when I used Calibre to convert the file and viewed the result on my Kindle, there were no quotes. I don't know if Calibre did not convert them properly (unlikely), or if MOBI doesn't support the tag, or if the Kindle doesn't work with the tags properly.

This is NOT a bug report, just a difference I noted between ePub and what I see on my Kindle. It might be interesting if Calibre converted the tag to the correct symbols, but that's an enhancement for the future. Who knows, when I get my python chops up, I might even do it.
fcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote