View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #119
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by an "unused" css file - I'm assuming you mean one that is not linked from html pages? How often does that happen?
I meant exactly that. I think it happens often with these book bundles (although I don't own very many). The individual books seem to be lumped into one big epub but each references its own css file, i.e. 6-book bundle probably has 6 css files. I suppose you could do a calibre epub-epub conversion before starting to split the bundle which would create one big css file from the constituent css's, but it wouldn't be my preferred method as there would be a lot of unused css rules in each individual book and it's not really in the spirit of 'Modify Epub'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Unused guide entries would be no great difficult, would need a QC check for it as well. Again not sure how prevalent it is/what causes it...
Based on the bundle I split earlier today... there were 3 overall html files -- cover, title page and inline TOC (which linked to start of each book). All 3 were referenced in the <guide>. For each individual book I chose to keep the overall cover (so I could easily substitute the image later) but I removed the other 2 html files in Sigil. Sigil automatically removed the corresponding <manifest> items but not the <guide> items. Perhaps it should have done. I don't even know whether the <guide> is important if you only use epubs, however, my obsessiveness wouldn't let me ignore it In any case I'm not sure where I'd use it other than when splitting book bundles.

In fact, I can almost imagine a spin-off plugin aimed solely at splitting bundles or other omnibuses (omnibi???) which let you select the first html file for each individual book then did the split plus all necessary clean-up operations.

Do we know any talented developers who are kind and generous enough to create such a useful item?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote