View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczurek View Post
That's a very nice system but do you use special software to handle it.
Can you give us hints to make the best results.
You either take time to position the book right in the cradle (no distortion, no background behind the page, uniform lighting - just rectangular page in your viewfinder) and then no processing is required apart from conversion of images to pdf or djvu with any freely available software. Or you shoot fast with the black background and don't care about photo quality, which you improve later with proper software. I prefer shooting fast because processing later is fun.

In both cases free Google Picasa can be very useful (downloading the pictures from the camera, automatic contrast and colour corection in batch processing, individual deskewing and cropping, etc.). Free Irfanview may be useful as well, especially for batch conversion between image formats.

I will post my suggestions for more sophisticated photo processing software (for low quality photos like the ones offered by google books in pdf format or a number of digital libraries in djvu format - you know dLibra, don't you) over the weekend.
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote