View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I can understand how you feel, but I still try to read books in French unless they were originally written in English. But sometimes maybe that's a mistake, for instance if the French translation is really bad.

I'm still trying to figure out how I should read Stieg Larsson's books, which are available in French but not as ebooks, at least in a format I can read. I guess I'll just try to grab them at the library, but they are never in, I may have to reserve them

I also remember many years ago, hearing about a French translation of a major work by Mishima (the Sea of Tranquility?), only the translation was not from the original Japanese but from the English translation. How twisted is that? As a result, I never read this book, which is rather stupid I guess...

I feel a bit reluctant to read English translations of books that are in another language. It feels wrong. At least if I read a French translation I am only suffering from the translator's errors. I don't want to add to that my own incorrect or inaccurate understanding. When I read in English I'm sure I don't get all the subtleties, and I sometimes make mistakes. Although I still prefer that to reading a bad French translation, reading an English translation of a book would feel a bit like reading that French translation of an English translation of a Japanese book.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote