View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #44
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
Your observations are (empirically) similar to ours - K4 basic display we feel has better overall contrast than our K3

That is perhaps owing to improved firmware for the display, as Amazon says K3 & 4 use the same display?

What we do take with a BIG lump of salt is "Tom's Hardware" "reviews".
I doubt it's software related since I used the entire page with pure black, precisely because I wanted to avoid any software related dithering effect, so it should work like an on/off switch.

With the white(blank) page pretty much the same(less than 1 deltaE), it confirms with Amazon's claim that the screen material is pretty much the same as the K3. However, it seems that the dark blue pigments used in the K4 is of darker shade than the one in the K3(at least in my case). If the differences are universal, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the currently produced pearl eink display are using slightly darker pigments than the ones used in K3.

Anyhow, one thing for sure is that my K4 has the best screen compare to the Nook STR & K3 I've used. So i'm a happy user
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote