View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2k View Post
Why can i just use google to login? Just don't want to enter my password for third party.
That's just not the way Google's OAuth works. The username and password is supplied to Google through the API. It's the only way for a Web App to set the cookie on your eReader with your AUTH token.

The Web is set up so a site only has access to the data it creates, there's no way the G:RSS Web app could access your Google Login information on it's own (that would be a HUGE security issue). That's why OAuth is required.

If you have a mobile phone, and you use a Google Reader application on it, or an Email application, or a YouTube app, etc, they all use the same process.

I can't say I don't share your concern about sharing login information, if this was the only app I'd released, I would be, too. But if you browse our site, you can see that quite a few reputable apps (both web, and for Windows Phone and Android) have been released, and I have attended conferences and interviewed/questioned a couple of recognizable names in the industry. Hopefully this is credibility enough for most.

Thank.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote