View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #28
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Really?? I thought everyone loved the 505, at least. Also, I see that you have one. Are you not happy with it? To answer your second question - no, I'm not in a rush. But I've been thinking about getting an e-reader for several months, and I figure it's about time I went ahead with it.
No, I don't really like mine. It has a nice solid feel, and it's thin and has good battery life. I dislike the screen (E-Ink is crap compared to even poor print), the device is extremely slow, and it is poorly ergonomically designed. It lacks a lot of simple but useful features like keyword search, and its ePub display quality is rubbish (I will only read custom-sized PDFs on mine).

The reason people get behind it is because for a while, it was the best underdog amongst a lot of pretty bad options, excepting the jetBook which a lot of folks trashed without ever knowing what it was (now, the jetBook and Libre have similar cult followings). Hype for it grew when the PRS-700 came to town and lots of people were disappointed at its display quality, and instead opted for the 505. People who were insecure about the decision to not upgrade very vocally tried to justify their positions by promoting the 505. It doesn't deserve most of its hype.

It's fine if you have sufficiently low standards for every aspect of a reading device except perhaps build quality and battery life.

Personally, I'd wait until newer, higher-contrast E-Ink Vizplex is available in newer devices. The display quality hopefully will be noticeably better, and newer devices will have the horsepower to drive the screen at a tolerable rate while providing better search/dictionary functionality. That's the hope at least. Whenever people ask me about my 505, I tell them to hold off on any ebook purchases until the technology is more mature.

If you're in a rush to buy, the Libre, in my opinion, is the most gratifying inexpensive short-term purchase of the options you've listed.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote