View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Where to start?!?

PRS+ does not modify your firmware. It adds functions on top.

"Questionable"?? Really? There are many satisfied users out there.

Need to be a geek? Wrong again. I use it and I'm certainly no geek when it comes to computer knowledge. Is the following not geeky?

Lastly, who said PRS+ is the answer to everything? I mentioned it as an easier method than yours to get external fonts.
As I said, my post wasn't meant as a flame, so I apologize if it came across that way.

Whenever I ask a modification question about ePUB, the answer is universally "PRS+"! I have never had anyone tell me how to make a CSS file reference the LRF fonts (listed above) without first telling me about installing fonts via PRS+. So it was really a comment on my experience.

In terms of "questionable," I can say -- as a geek who has hacked many devices -- that add-ons and hacks are always questionable. PRS+ works well for the majority of people, but that does not eliminate the possibility of some glitch on some particular 505 that causes a crash. There's even a warning in the PRS+ download! But due to the number of good installs, it's proven to be a reasonably safe install.

However, I don't want to install and depend on PRS+ for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is owning a PRS-600, and planning on purchasing other Sony Readers when they hit the market. We need a future-proof solution, one that does not depend on PRS+, so that we can reasonably expect it to work on our future reader purchases.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote