Thread: Soft hyphen
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Yes or no?
Writing in Word I will, as a matter of reflex, insert a soft hyphen (Ctrl+hyphen) if I have a long word at the right edge.

Will this be automatically disregarded by en e-book conversion process? (I hope so). I realize that it won't be problem if I don't insert them but it is infuriatingly ingrained in me, and should I need to print out a manuscript at least it will look acceptable, whereas a line 2/3 its surrounding lines seems like an eyesore to me.
I don't mean to be dense--I really don't--but why don't you simply have hyphenation set "on" and allow the program to do the work? Why are you doing it manually?

If you allow the program to do the work, when you get ready to convert you can simply s&r all "soft hyphens" and remove them. (I'm unsure, having said that, if you can remove the semi-soft "hyhpens" done via CTRL+hyphen the same way, TBH. I haven't used soft-hyphens manually since...lord I don't know when. Not in writing.) Bada-bing. Then the file you send to HTML (or upload as Word at Amazon, whatever method you use) is ready for the recipient program/device to use its own hyphenation programming, i.e., ADE or Kindle devices/software.

And, NO: they won't be ignored if you leave them there. Trust me on that one.

I don't understand why you'd do it by hand. That part eludes me. Why not just let the program do it? I don't think the word-processor still exists that doesn't have a pretty competent hyphenation program. Is there a preference reason?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote