View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
skeptik
skeptik began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrzaJR View Post
The installer file is a .msi, but by this file will only open with a file extractor, where it just creates an empty folder.
Hi there. Not sure if you're still wanting the answer but I'm sure someone will in the future. I was having the exact same problem downloading and attempting to open/run the add-on Web of Trust for IE9. By default it wanted to open with MegaZipper but that didn't work, because .msi files are supposed to auto-open with Windows Installer. The most I could do was right-click and have it prompt me to chose what program I wanted to open the .msi file with.

After spending several frustrating hours searching the internet attempting to get it to open by variously searching my computer in vain to locate Windows Installer, redownloading Windows Installer unnecessarily from microsoft.com, trying to find some type of third-party software which could run the file, etc., I came across the link I included below.

It's incredibly simple. Somehow my computer had misassociated the default program to open .msi files. All I had to do was download the file for restoring default for .msi, right-click MERGE, and presto, now the file opens with Windows Installer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-restore.html

Edit: I'm using Windows 7 and that link is only recommended for people using Windows 7 ... regardless, this is the reason I was having the problem, I'm sure there are other ways to restore the default file type association.

Last edited by skeptik; 12-09-2011 at 02:20 PM.
skeptik is offline   Reply With Quote