View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I've just received a shiny new Paperwhite. I haven't even put any books on it yet (waiting til the cover arrives), nor have I updated to the latest version.

I'm half thinking about jailbreaking it, so I can use the collections manager, but (I admit) I'm scared to try it. (I did try the USE_ALT_FONTS trick, and feel very smug with myself that it worked). I'm not a hardware geek or a software geek, and I'm terrified that I'll do something to mess up my device.

All I want to do is be able to use the collections manager. I've looked at the directions, and it seems rather complex. It's not just installing one jailbreak, but installing a bunch of stuff.

Too, I'm not sure how the collections manager actually works - that is, starting from new books on the device, what is it that i do to get the books into a collection? does it work hand-in-hand with the Kindle Collections plugin in Calibre?

so, my questions are: 1) should a total neophyte like myself risk the jailbreak? and 2) could somebody give me a brief description of how to use the jailbroken collections manager, so I can decide whether it's worth it?

Thanks,

-Becca
IMHO, the best thing to do is this:

Install the jailbreak, then let the PW update to 5.3.3. And then do nothing. You won't even know, smell, or see that there is an extra certificate sleeping on your Kindle.

Then you load books and start reading.

If you are after a while not satisfied with the normal functionality of collections, then you have options. Start researching on your own time if jumping through all the hoops is worth it. As ixtab said, the installation process of jailbreak and further installation files is simple, fast, and easy. Everything has very easy to follow instructions. Most of them are exactly the same. (plug Kindle in computer, copy a update-blablah-install.bin file to Kindle, unplug cable, go to menu -> settings, go to menu -> update your kindle, wait a little bit, done). In case of the CM you also need to copy a "book" (the .azw2 file) into your documents. I am pretty sure you know that drill of sideloading in and out already.

So again my suggestion: Jailbreak now, update to 5.3.3, leave it sit, and you are future proof in case you want to give CM a try in a month.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote