View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 03:07 AM   #13
fbrzvnrnd
Addict
fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fbrzvnrnd can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The issue is that in the past, Javascript was not supported in epubs.
Yes, I know. I started one of the first digital publishing house in Italy, uh, 10 years ago, and I manually created a lot of hypertext ePub2.

Quote:
The epub3 specs do have some Javascript support. But, it is optional. Not every ereader or app will support it. And some will explicitly not support it.
This is true. The EPUB3 specs have javascript support and - yes - IDPF wanted it to be optional. To be honest, I think this was a *big* mistake of IDPF. Now IDPF is "gone" and it seems to me that the w3c specs for Digital Pubblication are going in another direction.

Quote:
And some effectively only support it by accident (they are basically a wrapper around a browser control and if that control supports Javascript, then the ereader does as well). I don't know where the calibre viewer falls with this.
Yes, but the "new direction" for EPUB is going follow the HTML5 philosophy: if there is support for something, do it. The SVG support in EPUB 3.2, for example, has this kind of view.

Quote:
As such, the reaction was basically an, "avoid Javascript because you don't know if it will work everywhere".
I believe that if this was the concept that someone wanted to express, he could work on it more. I'm working on electronic literature ebooks, so I have to go to the edge of the specs to show what a digital publication could do. I think we are using the tip of the iceberg in digital publication, and we are losing years of development, and time and money in App that are going to dead after some months or years.

Quote:
And you left out a very important piece of information in your report. If you used a previous version of calibre and the viewer did support you Javascript, and the current version doesn't, then you should have said so. That would have gotten a very different reaction.
you are right, my fault. English is not my primary language and I had given it as implicit when I mentioned the caliber version, but in fact it wasn't. My fault.

Thank you for the answer.

Fabrizio
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote