View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 02:22 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
Thank you for the answer. I understand. It is strange that older version of Calibre were working fine with it.
The issue is that in the past, Javascript was not supported in epubs. The epub3 specs do have some Javascript support. But, it is optional. Not every ereader or app will support it. And some will explicitly not support it. And some effectively only support it by accident (they are basically a wrapper around a browser control and if that control supports Javascript, then the ereader does as well). I don't know where the calibre viewer falls with this.

As such, the reaction was basically an, "avoid Javascript because you don't know if it will work everywhere".

And you left out a very important piece of information in your report. If you used a previous version of calibre and the viewer did support you Javascript, and the current version doesn't, then you should have said so. That would have gotten a very different reaction.

And, I don't know the answer. I would expect the current view to support some Javascript, but, again, I don't know for sure as I don't think I have any books that contain Javascript. And I don't remember any recent discussion on it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote