View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for the enjoyment of the second book in a series, the reason you might not get the same enjoyment of the second book is that you don't feel the same high as the discovery of the characters and the setting.
Right, that's what I meant when I said, "I think that part of my problem is that the first book has the world and character building and then subsequent books are more or less just recycling that stuff with a new plot."

Two series that I can think of that don't fall into that category are ones where they use the same world but create new characters; the World of Five Gods series by Lois McMaster Bujold and the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix.

One that did reuse the characters and world but stayed good is the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote