View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #62
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I really can’t agree with this. It was crucial that it was a bookshop rather than, say, a haberdashery. A bookshop challenged Violet as the self-appointed patroness of the arts.
I missed that--I honestly don't remember it at all.

Is a bookshop really related to the arts? Such a store doesn't seem particularly literary; maybe the artists wanting to exhibit there made it more art-related. Florence doesn't seem to be positioning herself and her store as any kind of cultural arbiters (except perhaps by selling Lolita, but nothing develops from that). If Florence had tried to use her store to host speakers and discussions and such, I could see her as a threat to Violet, but she seemed to want only to sell books, and not much else.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote