View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
How did everyone else feel about it?
Great question. I didn't mind that. It seems she had led a semi-charmed life until this point, but this kind of tragedy is so intense that it's hard for me not to feel empathy or sympathy. Losing her husband is extremely difficult, but knowing that she loses her husband and only child - her entire family! - within the course of a year or so is devastating.

Didion's name dropping didn't bother me and it makes me wonder whether she was aware she was doing it. Someone recommended I watch a concept comedy series called The Good Place that's been on a few years, which I just began streaming from the beginning last week. It's a silly but philosophical show about a group of people who die and go to "the good place", which turns out to be a fantasy model neighbourhood (there are several such for different groups of people; this is just one). However, the world isn't as perfect as one might expect and for one, some of the people have quirks that get on other people's nerves. There is a woman who came from a rich and famous family, and she constantly name drops who she knew in life. As I was watching, Didion and AnotherCat's criticism of her came to mind immediately.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote