View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #557
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Not Patrick White? I admit I waded through a few of his novels decades ago and I wouldn't care to have to do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Waders are definitely needed. I know heís supposed to be The Greatest, but he does nothing for me at all. (Donít tell anyone!) My loss, no doubt, but I find him lacking in human warmth I think.
Perhaps "Greatest" was a literary studies assessment? I cannot offer an opinion as I have never read any of his work, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone speak of his books in flattering terms so I have never been tempted.

Peter Carey is an Australian author of some renown (three time winner of the Miles Franklin Award), but is yet another I cannot offer an opinion on as I don't think I've ever actually read any of his books; I've only seen some of the film productions.

Thea Astley won four Miles Franklin Awards, but I haven't tried one of her books yet. And Tim Winton is another four-time winner of the Miles Franklin Award, but the first book I tried of his didn't do anything for me and I haven't been back to try any others.

Having brought up the Miles Franklin Award*, I have to admit that I have not read any of her books either.

... The more I look the more it seems my education in Australian literary authors is rather lacking. And so my TBR list grows again.

* The Miles Franklin Award seems like it should be relevant because it is for "a novel which is of the highest literary merit and presents Australian life in any of its phases" and so, in theory, matches what I am looking for in trying to find an author offering a distinctly Australian experience.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote