View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717
I think it's probably more "want to have written a book."
Yes you're right. In the eyes of society, you're much smarter if you wrote and published something. It's pretty much like having a big car or a nice looking girlfriend...

But I still believe that a whole lot of people ARE right now writing books, and that with no publishing cost at all, e-books will make more original materials available. Even if just a few % of these books that wouldn't be available otherwise is good, and the rest complete crap, it's still a good thing: we'll see more and more e-books and long forgotten formats (like short stories, you can't publish them on a dead tree if you don't have a collection, with a single short story, you can sell it to a magazine and that's it) re-appear.

That's also the reason why I'm working on Feedbooks: to provide an easy way for anyone to publish it on our website and make it available to all the supported readers.
I don't believe that e-book will win the argument against p-book if it doesn't try what you can't do with paper. Anyone could write a novel, make it available as an e-book and talk about it on blogs etc... It won't raise the overall quality up, but we'll see new niches for the book market, and new talented people too.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote