View Single Post
Old 03-12-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Running Adobe Digital Editions on Linux

I rarely use Adobe Digital Editions. I run on Linux and have had a difficult time getting it to work on this OS under Wine. So I have it installed on an old Windows box for those rare occasions when I need it.

That old Windows box has now died and I don't intend to replace it.

So my question is, has anyone tried installing Windows in a virtual machine on a Linux box, then installing Abobe, and never activating Windows? It is perfectly legal to run an unactivated version of Windows forever (I checked), what is illegal is trying to activate it by nefarious means. Microsoft provides free downloads of Windows from their website.

For the rare occasions that I need Adobe, I would have no problem putting up with the Windows nag screens trying to get me to activate it. I never intend to use Windows again, save for this once every blue moon use of Adobe for about five minutes at a shot.

Has anyone tried this? Will unactivated Windows allow you to install and use Adobe Digital Editions? You could install Adobe during the first 30 days, as unactivated Windows is fully functional during that time. What I don't know, not having really used Windows for decades now, is will unactivated Windows allow you to run third party programs such as Adobe? I don't care if Windows nags me about running Adobe or anything, as long as it runs it eventually if I dismiss the nag screens.

Last edited by haertig; 03-12-2022 at 01:02 PM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote