View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Dear Hitch,

Of course, one should never underestimate Amazon, but I don't think that heuristics would be robust enough, because footnotes can be formatted in any number of ways and are technically almost indistinguishable from their evil twins--ordinary hyperlinks.

Since Amazon adopted most of HTML5/CSS3 with the introduction of KF8 and also otherwise supports some ePub3-only elements, the best case scenario would be the adoption of <aside> tags with epub:type="footnote" attributes.

However, since their god-awful fixed layout flavor also technically supports popups, I wouldn't put it past Amazon to expect book designers to use that horrible syntax for regular KF8 books, too. In the end only time will tell.

Let's hope none of your clients will find out about this new feature, because otherwise they'll probably insist on footnotes in their Kindle books being "popup-ified" post-haste.

Dear Doitsu:

(I was being affectionate in the truncation. Nickname-y. Shan't happen again).

Lord. You're right, of course. Footnotes are indistinguishable from other links, really--I mean, what's the difference between a link from the inline TOC to a chapter, versus a footnote? Nothing. Durgh.

And the RM pop-ups...please, motherofheaven, let's not have some type of dreaded pop-up...how could we even do that? What, have fallUP styling for pop-up footnotes? So that footnotes are their own class of paragraph...but popups somewhat rely on the fixed-format, given how they are located, you know what I mean? The location factor mayn't be needed, with reflowable, because keeping an image in view isn't necessary for adult books...(thinking aloud here, as you can tell by the Stream-of-Consciousness typing)...for it to work, I think, the easiest path (which shan't be what happens, most surely) would be a media-query type styling; you'd have a span class that wraps the footnote NUMBER or indicator. That's the easiest way. That class has a media query for that class, which says "if you're on a paperwhite, display the linked matter," essentially. Hell, we'd need JSON capability for that, wouldn't we?

Naturally, this won't be what happens. It will be some godawful thing like we have to do for FF mobi's for RM. But then...what will we do for all the other devices?

This makes my head hurt.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote