View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_nut33 View Post
Yes, the question is about kfX. Im just saying that its funny that it works in an open standard such as epub but not KFx. These txts that Im working on are legal, so I'd like to display cases and legal statues in an independent area so the reader doesn't have to wander elsewhere.
Well, the easiest way to put case cites and statutes is quite simply in a footnote. I hate to say it, but using pop-ups (and I've done a fair bit of it) sounds really cool, but when there's a lot of text, like a statute, it's not that viable.

Use footnotes, the reader jumps TO the footnote, reads the relevant case law, cites, or statutes, or all three (you can also link other items from within the footnotes) and then jumps back. It's not "wandering." I use footnotes in the books I read all the time and they're GREAT, much better than in print.

And, with regard to it "working" in an open standard such as ePUB, sure, it works--but there's about 2 readers that will display them, both with extremely small marketplaces. So...it's like the infamous boat sailing across the ocean book when ePUB3 was all the "new thing;" nice, but in the real, everyday world, it doesn't have any place to sail TO.

You don't want to try to use floats in a K8 book for material that can be that lengthy--what happens when someone enlarges the font? It'll be a disaster. Just stick with footnotes; someday, when Amazon implements limited js for that type of thing, or enables JSON in reflowables, the footnotes will be able to be changed to pop-ups, but as I said, having suffered through the "Immersedition" book, text-heavy pop-ups are really, really annoying. The new Kindle HDX's are purported to have some print-from capabilities, so that's another very good reason to put them in footnotes--in case your lawyers want to print out the cite.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote