View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #65
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
But I don't consider a book to be cyberpunk unless it has plausibility! As opposed to, say, steampunk. Gibson was mindblowing because he gave us a taste of the leading edge of reality. Was Stephenson's Snow Crash too unbelievable to be both cyberpunk and hard SF? It certainly had whimsy. Steve, how do you define "hard SF?"
Ummm.. cyberpunk novels often have the veneer of plausibility, but I find that is often only skin deep. The works of Gibson are classic examples of this.. particularly when you start learning more about computers.

Snow Crash is a great book, though I think it is more properly called post-cyberpunk since it actually sends up several cyberpunk tropes.

I wouldn't consider Snow Crash to be hard scifi though.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote