View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It appears that the handling of all watermarked e-books is managed by one entity in the Dutch speaking area.
Yes, Centraal Boekhuis. They are a book distributor. A similar company, Libridis, went bankrupt in May last year. As far as I know, Centraal Boekhuis does not have any competitors anymore, so they'd be the only place where stores can get books in Dutch.

Quote:
They could have made the deal with BREIN and force vendors to comply.
They can't. It's not possible because of WBP. First, it's not possible for an institution or company to force others to give up personal data to anyone. Both trying to do so, and giving up the data, would mean that the WPB is broken, as far as I know. If personal data has to be exchanged, a judge has to decide.

There are exceptions, something such as this: "If you sign this bonus card that grants you a 5% discount in our store then you consent that the personal data and address you are giving to us will be shared with Company A, B and C, so they are able to send advertisement folders to your home address."

In that case however, you are fully aware of what is going to happen and should expect to receive advertisements. I do *not* expect a bookstore to forward my personal data to BREIN or any other institution without my knowledge because BREIN is of the opinion that I am spreading copyrighted material.

As said, maybe I lost my USB stick somewhere, and some other guy thinks it's a very good idea to share the 200 books that are on it, because he can be sure that BREIN won't be knocking at *his* door. At least, not in the beginning.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-14-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote