View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #31
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Nice Review Bookworm_Girl!

On the Esther-John Jarndyce relationship, it's interesting that Esther, before the marriage proposal does see JJ as a father figure and even says that to him. I recall that when she does so, JJ is rather upset about that! {though he hides his disappointment} I think it's clear in hindsight that Dickens had no intention of having their personal relationship develop along romantic lines.

I keep wondering if there is some emotional echo of Dickens' own relationship with his sister-in-law whom he idolised and who was much younger than he. (However, she never got married}
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote