Thread: DRM and Calibre
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
Hey Worldwalker, 100 % agree with you, that's why I don't want DRM in my books, and advice no to use it. I just wanted to know in case I find some stubborn bloke. I love your phrase "DRM is to rights management like DDT is to pest management." Immediately adopted.
A note for anyone who is baffled at the connection: Pest management exterminates pests (at least it had better ... if I call them because I have bugs, I want those bugs dead, not taught to march in formation). Rights management exterminates rights. There is a very close, and very disturbing, parallel there.

If you run into those stubborn blokes, LadyFitz is right: out-stubborn them. Point out that although the Harry Potter books have never been released as ebooks (the author has a fondness for paper), the last one was in fact out as an ebook before the pbook was on the market. It was an inside job, of course, but the point is, if someone wants an illicit ebook, it's not hard for them to get it or make it. It inconveniences the guy who just bought a Sony to replace his broken Kindle, and now can't read his books anymore. That guy will either give up and not buy more books from the offenders, or he will learn to strip DRM, and in either case, it's doing the author no good and possibly considerable harm.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote