View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 05:42 AM   #35
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
If one wants to fully examine what war is good for you need a book about the aftermath of one. I'll nominate Leon Uris' Armageddon.

From Amazon:

Quote:
At the end of World War II, American army officer Captain Sean O’Sullivan is commissioned with rebuilding Berlin. Reeling from the death of his brothers at German hands and faced with the direct horrors of the Holocaust, O’Sullivan struggles against his animosity towards the nation he is helping restore. Meanwhile, Soviet forces blockade Germany in a bid for power, and the Western Allies must unite to prevent a communist takeover. When the airlift begins, the Allies find their deepest convictions tested as they fight against a threat even more dangerous than Hitler.

Meticulously researched, this New York Times bestselling novel gives a historically accurate account of the early days of the Cold War and the fight for German redemption.
https://www.amazon.com/Armageddon-Le...ords=Leon+uris

I've read this before, but would gladly reread it. My mother was born in Berlin in 1929 and lived there until about 1950, meeting my dad who was stationed there post WWII. She would not talk about it much so I was interested in reading Uris' account of life in Berlin post WWII. My mother also had two older sisters, and I was in horror reading what life was like for them and my grandmother. My grandfather died on the Russian Front.

This category also screams for 'War and Peace' like the category in May, 'Doomed to Repeat'. But I won't nominate it. Another good nomination would be Leon Uris' Mila 18, a story of life in a Polish Jewish Getto during WWII, an even more horrific story than Armageddon.

Last edited by drofgnal; 07-04-2018 at 05:52 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote