View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #60
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Kovid - appreciate the support. I will try to get something up and running and then chat about how best to incorporate it with Calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Some method of notifying users of an updated plugin would be great. I'd be concerned about automatic updating as a general rule - some plugins may change names and need the old one uninstalled, and certainly as you mentioned the Calibre version has to be checked.
Provided we as plugin developers "do our job properly" when issuing new versions of migrating files or data in the plugin startup, the only scenario I can think that could cause an issue is that of renaming a plugin. For that I have a simple solution - adding an "Uninstall=xxx" pair to the info on the page where xxx is the old plugin name. The updater plugin on seeing this will ensure any plugin of that name is uninstalled when upgrading.
Quote:
I'd guess the format of the information on the Index page would need to change/standardize to make it easy to extract, although what's easy to read for a plugin isn't always as readable for users.
Absolutely that is a challenge. I have taken a stab at updating the plugin index sticky just now, with all the information I think would be relevant to an updater. Do people think it is still "human readable"?

Another option would be to have a spoiler on the page containing hidden information. However that means duplication, and I am trying to keep this dead simple to maintain.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote