View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is the same with your computer at home. Fire up the task manager and see how much free memory you have. What you see is free memory also known as available memory.

Dale
That's true, but when you go to your system page, it still tells you that the computer has 4g memory, or a 320g hd. It doesn't subtract system files in memory or on the hd from the total memory or hd capacity available. It may even steal half your memory for the video card use, but it still indicates your full 4g installed.

Naturally, since the internal memory also serves as its "hard drive", it is to be expected that it would be partitioned into "system" and "memory" sections. But, again, even a partitioned hd still shows up at multiple drives equating to the hd's full capacity.

And I still don't know where the 512m internal memory number that's being quoted is coming from. Neither the book, the box, or the system menu item on the device says anything more than internal = NAND.

So until I saw it in this review (I had read diokdin's review before choosing Astak), I had no idea of the internal memory's expected size.

Naturally, this changes Lord Raiden's estimate of 1000 books in internal memory, but he can't be held responsible for marketing's numbers manipulation.

While we are at it, I don't recall Lord R mentioning whether he had installed the latest firmware, so I believe perhaps some of his observations are no longer valid.

For instance, I cannot get to a bookmark my merely pressing the 1-5 keys. I need to press and hold the 6 key to bring up the bookmark page(s), and then press the key associated with the bookmark. However, the ability to create a bookmark by merely pressing the "6" key is great.

Also, there are 3, not 2, ways of page-turning. I don't think I've ever used the most obvious paging keys on the left of the screen (except for firmware updating), but depending on how I am holding the reader, I vary between the "wheel" on the right, and the 9/0 keys.

As for glare, which I have seen mentioned for many other devices as well, glare is usually from one source, and tilting the device has always worked for me.

I personally don't have a problem with E-ink page-turn time. I actually prefer the wiping/refresh because I actually know it has changed pages without having to read the first few words of the page and discover I haven't pressed the button hard enuff.

This one is a joke, so be warned -- how can a battery indicator that is barely 1/4" long ever be expected to move an inch? But, yes, I certainly agree. I have been using my PPro for 4 days and the indicator hasn't moved at all.

Nit-picking aside, it is indeed a very well-written review. I just thot it would be good to note these items (well, except for the battery indicator) on behalf of anyone unfamiliar with this great Astak device.

Last edited by eGeezer; 12-30-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added "expected" to internal memory size, and expanded the first two paragraphs
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote