View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #828
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacity1 View Post
If I could only have 1 card I would go with Brooklyn. They seem to have more nonfiction & books others do not carry. I am probably going to cancel Houston as their waitlist is always very long.
Unless something has changed, Houston now requires you to appear in person to get your card. Since you already have it, that's not an issue, but it would be for new people. Otherwise, that list is up-to-date.

I agree that Brooklyn is pretty good, but if you like the type of books that Fairfax has, it's a bargain at $27/year. Orange County and Free Library of Philadelphia also give access to Freading, which has a large selection of older books. Some hold times at FLP Overdrive are pretty long, though.

One thing about Brooklyn is that if you have a card, you can then sign up for a New York Public Library card and tie it to your Brooklyn card. You have to go to a New York library in person, but once I did, I got a 3 year, free New York card. Maybe that's because I live in Connecticut, but I don't know. I do know that nothing on the NYPL website says anything about CT being special as far as non-resident cards are concerned, and I do not have any of the other qualifications (work, live in, pay taxes in, etc.) for a resident card.

Last, I went to Las Vegas recently, and signed up for their free non-resident card. I knew it would expire after 3 months, but I go often enough that I could keep it enabled most of the time. The problem is that their non-resident card gives you no access to any online lending features, so it's pretty much useless. The website doesn't make that clear until you have an account created.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote