View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
And this is a precious resource. Finding a publisher or reviewer or blogger who shares your tastes is a great way to find your next read, though I must admit it has mostly eluded me so far.
For me, finding readers/reviewers with similar tastes to mine has been a fairly organic process. Some of the most important, most productive resources for me were my favorite authors' dedicated forums. Similar to Mobileread's "What Are You Reading Now" thread, almost every author forum had an "Other Authors" section where members (who already shared a common interest) talked about other books they were reading.

I developed relationships with many like-minded readers this way over the years (as well as with a few people who challenged me to step outside my comfort zone from time to time). And even though many of those forums are now defunct, and their members scattered to the four corners, my relationship with many of them transitioned to other social media (mainly Goodreads and Twitter) where we still share what we're reading--what we like and what we don't like.

Fond memories, memorable discussions, and great reading-oriented relationships that I hope to be able to utilize for years to come.

I don't waste time pining for ready-made, automated, algorithmic book- or author-sorting tools. I've invested heavily in human filters. And they're paying huge dividends. Now I don't need to use ebook retailers for anything other than buying ebooks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote