View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #49
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I think that the problem is one of curation. Amazon is bad at proper curation. I see too much dreck if I go to just browse the Kindle site. On the other hand if I look at Kobo they are careful to show off trad pub bestsellers and critically well received literature.

Many of you seem to not care about discovery through browsing. I care. Many of my favorite novels and authors come from browsing through bookstores. We should be entitled to that kind of discovery with online stores. I don't care if there are mountains of poorly written self published works *as long as I don't have to see them.*

In the realm of games, Steam is working to a new UI which will hide garbage so that you can still seek it out but it's not rammed down your throat. That is what Amazon should strive for. I don't think self published works should be killed, I just think that they should not be promoted the way that they currently are.
Amazon is not a curator. They are a distributor.
Oh and your complaint is the exact opposite of what I have heard about Amazon. I heard they only promote best sellers.
Depends on how specific I get in a search what I get in return.
And even I wish there was a way to sort better.

Amazon doesn't want to curate because they would lose money. And I am not talking chump change.
Here is a breakdown.
For every self-published 99 cent ebook sold Amazon gets 65 cents.
For every $1.99 book they make $1.29
Now they only make 30% + delivery fee from $2.99 to $9.99
$10 and over, they are back to 65%.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote