View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I like to choose at random, but that doesn't mean I immediately buy anything I see. I look at cover and synopsis first. If I'm still interested, I'll read reviews and check out the look-inside, then I'll decide if I want the book enough to pay for it.
That's not really random, then. That's carefully researching and vetting titles you think you might be interested in reading.

I get what you're saying: you browse titles rather than relying on recommendations from others. But you still have a homegrown filtering method. We all do. No matter what we buy and from whom we buy it.

I figure I just have more to choose from, now. The so-called "increased noise" from the indie boom is irrelevant to me. I never waded into unfiltered trad-pub waters either.

I no longer browse book-stores for reading material, I troll (not bad troll) places where books are being discussed to get my ideas. Which allows me to be fairly publishing-method agnostic. I'm not specifically looking for good self-pub (or trad-pub) books to read. I'm looking for good books to read, period.

The new publishing model hasn't changed my selection process. The advent of ebooks and online retailers in general did that. That made everything more convenient and eliminated tons of buyer's remorse for me. I now have waaaaay more ways to filter dreck (pre-purchase) than I ever did before.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-19-2017 at 12:18 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote