View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #38
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
I received my Next1 eReader yesterday and I am both pleased and displeased:

Pleased

It works well as an eReader - good clear display and makes good use of the page (no huge margins).
Four font size choices on my EPUB books; the smallest size is more than big enough (I would like an even smaller size, but no big deal).
I know what you mean, the smallest setting isn't quite small enough, but I can learn to live with it (especially, as my eyes get older...)

Quote:
A little bit of flaky behavior - two instances where the screen got all messed up while reading and the Next1 shut down.
This might be due to needing a full battery charge, so I'll see what happens.
This recently starting happening with me, especially so when I open larger .pdfs or complicate .epubs (many hyperlinks). I think it just runs out of internal memory and safely "shuts-down". Actually I think this is a good way for the e-reader to tells us it's maxed out and needs to reboot!

Quote:
If anyone manages to get different firmware onto the Next1, please post!
I found a firmware that adds "video support" to a model very similar to the Next1 (the EBKT-101 by sigmatek.), but it's firmware upgrade tool is different and I haven't yet tested if it can even see my device. I'll be testing this out soon and will report on my findings....

I'm enjoying (colour) .pdf reading now given that I know that holding down the D-pad to finely increment the page down to the bottom works and then I'm able to hit the page turn button to get to the top of the next page!!! Just set "zoom to width" and read in landscape orientation (the g-sensor automatically flips it for you!)

While reading .epubs, I still miss clicking on any link on the page, but I'm adding/editing more "Catalog" (toc.ncx) links to special copies of my epubs to make accessing them more pleasurable!

All in all a nice e-reader for $100.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote