View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush View Post
Hi David,

Thanks a ton for your reply, your advice sounds like a ray of hope as i am in utter despair.
I am shattered and been looking for workarounds since the time my Kobo has got upgraded to 3.3.
Based on your suggestion I could try what you said in your last post, But I have few doubts

1. As you recommended to go for firmware 3.8, do you think in 3.8 there is no flickering of web broswer, I mean like in 3.3 when i browse web pages its very flickery and as you move the page holding with your finger it keeps on flickering untill then, which is quite annoying. So I believe as you must be using 3.8 do you also find such issue or is it quite stable.

2. As I wish to downgrade it to firmware 3.2 (but currently it has got upgraded to 3.3), I just want to confirm are you really sure that I will be able to find "3.2.0 firmware .zip" file in my Kobo. In which file location will I find "3.2.0 firmware .zip", dont you think it must have got removed or replaced by "3.3 firmware" file. It would be a great help to me if you confirm this and if this can really happen.
Can you provide me the exact file location where I can find "3.2.0 firmware .zip" file.
1. I don't make much use of the web browser on my Aura HD but I haven't noticed that much flickering. A caution is that I use the web browser to connect for downloading ebooks from a few sites. I do not hit sites that have much in the line of images, animation, videos, etc.

2. You have to download the .zip file from Kobo's site. There is no firmware.zip file on your ereader. The Aura HD uses the Mark 4 firmware packages so to download the 3.2.0 firmware release, you would use:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-3.2.0.zip

to download the 3.8.0 firmware release, you would use:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-3.8.0.zip.

If you are upgrading to a newer firmwware version, once you have the firmware package downloaded, connect your Aura HD to your computer, open the downloaded firmware package and copy the upgrades directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files from the update file into the .kobo directory. Once the copy has finished, safely disconnect your Aura HD from the computer. Shortly after the disconnection, the firmware update procedure should start.

To downgrade, the procedure is a bit more complicated. The first step is to do a factory reset. After the reset is finished, connect your Aura HD to your computer and run the Kobo desktop application. Do the setup which will be likely to include downloading a new firmware version. Once the Kobo app has finished it's setup, do not eject your Aura HD. Instead close the Kobo app, locate the .kobo directory on your Aura HD and delete the existing upgrades directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files. You then copy the directory/files from the file for the firmware version you want to install, safely disconnect your Aura HD from the computer and let the firmware update procedure run.

In either case, the end of the update on your Kobo ereader deletes the upgrades directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files from it's file system.

You will then have to avoid syncing over WiFi. If you use the Kobo desktop app to sync, before ejecting, locate the .kobo directory on your Aura HD and delete the directory and files as in the downgrading firmware procedure before ejecting your Aura HD.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-06-2014 at 09:20 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote