View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Doonge
Connoisseur
Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doonge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There's a bunch of similar old fashioned swearwords.

In the vein of crédié, crédieu, you have also crévindiou or crévindié, where "Dieu" is transformed into "dié" or "diou" to avoid blasphemy. You can also see "vindié" ou "vindiou". This transformation comes usually from peasanry, bottom class.

Another transformation is "bleu" (like "blue"), like "palsambleu" "parbleu", "morbleu", "sacrebleu", "tudieu", "corbleu", "ventrebleu" and that one comes more from higher ranks.

You can sometimes switch "bleu" for "diou" or "dié", just to change the information about the swearer, but it doesn't always work because "how it rings" was taken into consideration. Not to mention pronunciation might change aswell ("crédié" > "crebleu" no accent).

As Mike L pointed at, those "jurons" are corrupted contraction of longer swear formula.
Tudieu > Par la vertu de Dieu
Jarnidieu > Je renie Dieu
Corbleu > Par le corps de Dieu
Têtebleu > Tête de Dieu
Ventrebleu > Par le ventre de Dieu
Palsambleu > Par le sang de Dieu
Morbleu > Par la mort de Dieu
Parbleu > Par Dieu (and gave the more regular word "Pardi")
Sacrebleu > Sacre Dieu (Fête-Dieu)
Boudiu > Bon Dieu
Vindiou > Vingt Dieux (means more "by the innumerable gods", or would be a word play with "Vain Dieu" which means "Shallow God").

You also have some really irreverencial ones, like "Foutredieu" ("fuckgod" or "god's semen"), "Fichtredieu" or "Fouchtredieu".

I suppose the same thing could be found in english.

Also, "Crédié" (I'm suprised to see it written without accent on the first "e", but I guess the gambler has a french sub accent) is one of the less naughty. You can rank the naughty level of the swearword by how much it disrespects the notion of God, or how much you are swearing on something awful. "Crédié" is just "Holy God", meaning "I swear, by the Holy God!". Compare with "By the death of God", or "By the innumerable Gods" (in a monotheistic context) ^^

Last edited by Doonge; 04-17-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Doonge is offline   Reply With Quote