View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 11:14 AM   #28
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Does your version of "work well" include battery life? Because mine does.
Now you are informative enough ; )
As I just posted "nearby", my own software reports a consumption of 18%/hour, confirming those 5..5½ hours of duration.
And of course I also wish that to be more.
But: 5 hours of reading while walking for me is plenty. For many people, 5 hours of "intellectual endeavour while physically exercising or moving in the wilderness" is already luxury. (Sometimes I also use them while not moving/exercising, say e.g. reclined in the car seat "looking" at the car roof or anywhere, but it is mostly while taking a break. For every situation the proper tool: I sometimes use them also in situations in which I would more normally and properly use implementations of EPD, OLED, IPS, but that is more because I want to finish the session (the chapter etc.) or I will return to exercising in a few minutes and it would not be efficient to change.)

And: if needed, though hardly so - but I did in the past, at the beginning of this "AR experience" -, I carry an external battery charger. This of course would give you a potentially practically unlimited amount of charge - not my need, as said. You can charge the device while using it: the charging USB cable will be in the side of the handheld. It may not be fully practical, but it's something one may seldom use to finish a particularly long session. My routine involves a jacket appropriate to season, for the comfort of a left pocket in which I keep the handheld as I am holding it. The handheld has up, right, down, left, center, mousepad, tap (multitap, longpress, pinch etc.) "home", "back" and "tasks" - Android with a capacitive arrow pad and a button, plus a mousepad. My software uses the directionals chiefly as "line up/down" and "page up/down" ("move [scroll] a bit" and "move more"), so I operate the device mostly with a rested (in pocket) left hand, mostly tapping accordingly and sometimes using the button and mousepad to access parts of the options interface. That kind of "organization" is not fully comfortable with an extra cable out the handheld - but it's both doable and most infrequent.

When I stated 'work well', I was of course referring to the sides which were more risky: the quality and effectiveness of the display, the actual reading experience, the absence of bad surprises in the OS customization.

If they had to improve it (BTW they did: a new model is out as of a few months), remaining relevant to the specificity of the product (in which the battery, close as it may be to the centre, is marginal, as the AR parts will remain closer), I'd more focus on:
-- developing a taller, square-ish display - because there is potential real estate to be exploited there. The display seems as wide as it can be with the current display implementation, but it seems that one could get extra lines without visual distortions;
-- developing a good way to write on it. For example, using the gyroscope and positional sensors of the handheld to draw letters in the air (though I am not sure it would be the most physically comfortable practice). If typing on it were comfortable, I'd gladly use it for text editing in Office Automation.

Last edited by mdp; 04-18-2021 at 11:31 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote