View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #53
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Went over & looked at the 5. I'm upgrading from my 4 (not 4S - I follow the "skip a generation plan" with Apple). It is lighter than the 4s. I got used to the larger screen in about 2 minutes, and now my 4 screen is too small.

Basically, the "readable" portion of the new screen seems to result in at least 25% more reading space, depending on the app you are in. Because of the additional height, the 5 seems narrower than the 4s, and the 4s definitely feel bulkier.

I suspect that if I had smaller hands, I'd just upgrade to the 4S, if I were to upgrade at all. But I had no trouble reaching all portions of the screen with my thumb, so the 5 is an okay fit for me.

I'm annoyed by the map flap, though. I am astonished that Apple allowed a product that is, at best, beta, onto the iphone. But they did that with Siri, didn't they? Thing is, when Siri goes wrong, you can just shrug & enter text. But when the map goes wrong, you might not even know it until you've gone wrong & wasted a lot of time. Steve would fire someone - except with Steve, it wouldn't have made it on in the first place.

But I must say, the 5 does not seem much different than the 4s until you get them side by side. Apple has very nearly succeeded in getting a larger phone into the same physical dimensions as the original phone, and has managed to make them seem to be the same size even though they aren't, so long as they aren't compared side by side.

Last edited by Harmon; 09-21-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote