View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Smarten quotation marks conversion

I've come across a Mobipocket ebook converted using calibre 0.7.1 that used U+0093 (Set Transmit State, UTF8 encoding C293) and U+0094 (Cancel Character, UTF8 encoding C293) for left and right double quotation marks.

These are not the right characters to use - they should be U+201C (Left Double Quotation Mark, UTF8 encoding E2809C) and U+201D (Right Double Quotation Mark, UTF8 encoding E2809D).

Does/did calibre smarten quotes with the wrong characters? Or was this a source text problem?

I could delve deeply into this and find the answer myself, but I'm hoping that someone here has the answer at their fingertips (and that the answer is that it's a source text problem!).

Thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote