Thread: Bricked Device
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by winternoise View Post
i flashed the 360+ firmware to my 360... maybe it would have worked if i would have ensured that i have had enough free memory on the device, don't know... (i had to change the firmware id string, so the flash tool accepted it). The hardware of both devices is more or less the same, and since companys normally are not developing thinks from buttom up every time, there was a chance that it would have worked...
He failed in the last step when he tried to write the filesystem...
I don't think that would have worked. The binary files and shared libraries are incompatible between the two versions of operating systems, and it looks like the new ones (and more importantly, their shared libraries) are installed in place of the old ones on a running system. You would have to be very careful during the install procedure to make sure the transition was smooth, assuming that the same kernel would work for both systems. If the kernel is also incompatible, then it becomes even way harder to update.

You're not the first to be hosed by this. I think it would have been nice if they had given the new model a different number, rather than just an extra plus sign.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote